Why won't she give me a moments peace???

Frustration.  It's real and it's something I deal with most days but I've learned how to handle it.  Some days I do a better job at handling it than others.  Here's the issue: Hannah can't effectively communicate and she is autistic so she perseverates on things and it can make me feel like I'm going out of my mind.  Perseveration is when she gets stuck on an idea or topic and can't be distracted away from it.  It's the equivalent of a verbal child asking the same thing over and over and over again.  You give an answer and 5 minutes later they ask the same thing as if you never addressed them.  It's frustrating on a good day but after a long, tiring day it's too much to bear.   And Hannah is relentless.  She doesn't give up and tire easily or quickly.

In order to communicate, Hannah points to things, using some sign language, has a few vocalizations and words, and has an iPad that has an app on it called Prologo2go.  It is an additional way for her to get her needs met. She taps a picture that I've programed and it speaks for her.  Sign language was never successful because of her motor skills; she can't get her fingers to make the signs and she struggles with coordination.  Her iPad is helpful for many things, but I'm sure it doesn't have a picture for every single thing she could want and she can't type out sentences so understanding her is often a guessing game.  She makes certain sounds and has her own language that I can usually understand but sometimes I have no clue what she is trying to express and her iPad isn't helpful.  It's like trying to understand a toddler just learning to vocalize.   As an example, she sometimes makes an "f" sound that could mean multiple things!  Sometimes she is talking about her sister, other times Steve, and other times it's none of these.  Then she may point to Steve's car because before Mia got her license, he would pick her up and bring her to our house. So I ask her questions trying to figure out what she's asking and she will either nod her head yes or say no.  Those are two ways she communicates that I can rely on; she has yes and no down pat.  If I figure out what she is asking she is happy and walks away but is back, usually within 5 minutes, asking the same darn thing again! It doesn't matter how many times I answer her; it's like she forgets the answer.  I know it's part of her disability but when I'm tired and she's been hammering at me all day I want to cry.  Sometimes it doesn't matter if I continually answer her or just ignore her. She just doesn't stop. Other days she does it very little.  The weekends are usually the worst.  She will ask to go to a specific restaurant all day long and when it's time to get ready to go she says no.  Really?  Now you don't want to go?  You've got to be freaking kidding me.  It makes no sense.  And sometimes she asks to go the restaurant and my answer is no for whatever reason.  Actually, there doesn't have to be a reason; the answer is just no.  I don't give in to her every whim and if I tell her no I stick to it.  She's relentless as it is so giving in when I've said no is not an option because she will absolutely learn that if she pushes me long enough I'll cave. As hard as it is to deal with, I do because the alternative is worse. 

Here's what I do to help myself get through these days: I cry, I go in my bedroom and lock the door and ignore her when she starts banging on the door, I act silly to make her laugh and break the loop her brain is in, I take a break and go outside if it's a nice day, I meditate, I journal, I do my breathing exercises, I listen to music. If this sounds familiar to you, the key is to do SOMETHING in order to preserve your sanity.  Some people don't have anyone to watch their child or have other reasons they can't get away.  If that is you, I invite you to go to the bathroom, lock the door, put on headphones for a few minutes and listen to music and breathe.  Find an outlet somewhere because you deserve it.  It's important to find joy and peace amongst the chaos! 

Trust me when I say you are not alone and you've got this!!!

Comments

  1. I totally understand. My son gets stuck in loops all the time. I’m fortunate that he can communicate verbally but he is hard to understand at times and he gets very frustrated if people don’t understand. I get calls from school, camp, my mom all the time if they can’t figure out what he is talking about. Mom to the rescue! All the time! I also feel like I’m losing my mind on some days. I just want to tell him to shut up. But I remind myself that he can’t help it and getting upset only gets him upset which then turns into 1-2 hours of trying to calm him down then making him even more needy afterwards. I often have to text his teacher or camp director to give them a heads up on what he is “stuck” on for the day so they are prepared. They appreciate the heads up. Right now he is obsessed with reefer trailers. (Semi trailers that haul cold stuff). He wants to buy three of them and have them loaded, one with milk, one with ice cream, and one with bacon. We drive by factories that have them in their parking lots, we drive by trailer dealerships, he points them out everywhere we drive. I have learned way too much about these trailers. It hasn’t always been trailers but it’s always something. I’m thankful I can understand him for the most part but I will definitely take your advice of going and sitting in the bathroom when I feel like I’m going to lose it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Milk, ice cream, and bacon. What else could we want?! :) Doesn't it amaze you what they get stuck on? With Hannah, it always seems to be to have visitors over or to go out to eat but then she doesn't get out of the car at the restaurant or she goes into her room when people are here. Ugh... Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  2. My son has 3p duplication. He has autism, moderate intellectual disability, obesity, behavior challenges, kidney issues, hypotonia, entropic, constipation, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds so challenging. I hope you are able to get away and find relief as often as possible. It's important to recharge!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It's my fault

"She's never going to be normal"